Friday, November 24, 2006

day 4: something to talk about

Shower? no
Glasses/Contacts? glasses
Music: My Morning Jacket (It Still Moves/Z); Grizzly Bear (Horn of Plenty/Yellow House)


11:00am Ablutions, reheat coffee.
12:00pm Work ('WaterJackhammer'; paper).
2:00pm Work (WJ; computer).
3:45pm Lunch: cold Chinese take-out, 1 Timbit, half of cookie, 1 rice cracker. Watch 20 min of Bottle Rocket. Reheat coffee. Discover soy milk has curdled; reheat new coffee.
4:45pm Work ('Darkroom'; paper). Eat 1 mandarin orange.
9:00pm Work (D; computer). Eat second mandarin orange. Re-read Lorrie Moore Self-Help for 30 min (useful to thesis). Spend 1 hour on last paragraph, last line.
1:45am Ablutions.


Notes:
Neo-Citron as soporific either doesn't work at all or works too well. Boob-squashing properties of sports bra are painful (yes, obviously). This is the most fashionable article of clothing I have on these days. People who know me understand how sad that is. (People who know me understand that comment was aslo mitigated with a snort of laughter.)

Having missed the excellent David Cross & Jon Benjamin at Bumbershoot continues to bother me. Laughed until I cried yesterday at video of them dance-raping poor audience member while singing "Something to Talk About." Why is is this so funny? It is perfect, it's like performance art.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7AkiQirNfU

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trick to marathon writing, hon, is to actually not write the whole time. Go outside and make a snow angel. Ride the bus and watch people get drenched by the puddles it plows through. Chain smoke. I like that one. I've had LOTS going on. Not good stuff, but stuff nonetheless. Let's finally see each other when you're out from under your rock?

Anonymous said...

I HATE when soy milk curdles and wrecks the coffee. I switched to rice milk for this reason. The yU brand (complete with useless umlaut) has never done me wrong.

I'm liking this blog! But I have to say... I had an email exchange with the writer Sandra Scoppettone a couple of years ago, which thrilled me, since she wrote several of the formative books of my teens, including the picture book "Suzuki Beane" (the original, *not* the re-release, which is different). Anyway, she has a blog (http://sandrascoppettone.blogspot.com/), and I started reading it, but I found it often made me anxious! Sometimes a writer writing about writing is hard for other writers to read. Or maybe that's just me, being the "jinxy" kind. But I'm enjoying the punch-clock aspect of this, devoid of the content of the actual WRITING piece.

Also, it's good to hear from you! I still have your book. I guess I'm holding it hostage until your thesis is done. Or something.

-Meryn